Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Spatial tools: Finding intersection between spacial objects in different rows

Kanishkas5301
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

What I'm struggling with today is  - I have start and end points of a number of lines. I've created these lines by using the formula tool (ST_CreateLines (point 1, point 2)) so I have these lines in different rows of the same column. I need to find out all the points where either of these lines intersect with each other. 

Is there some quick way to do this? I'm probably missing something obvious here. Spatial tools have never been my best. 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

I would use spatial match and have it set to intersection - then after filter to make sure line =! universe line.

image.png

You'll also get instances with the append of the two lines in the inverse columns so you would get double the intersections.

I.e Line 1 intersects with Universe Line 3 AND Line 3 intersects with Universe Line 1.

You could get around this with a recordID and filtering to where recordID < Universe_recordID

Kanishkas5301
8 - Asteroid

I understand the logic of that but just conscious of the size of the dataset I'd have to run this on. I'm working on a small test workflow for the now but the actual data would have about 300 rows. Appending this to itself would result in a huge dataset that might take a while to run. 

CoG
13 - Pulsar

You would not need to append the data to itself yourself (feels weird to say). The Spatial Match tool will do that internally for you. You would just use the line data as both the Target and Universe Inputs on the Spatial Match Tool.

Screenshot.png

Labels