Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Setting Up PostgreSQL ODBC Connection

stapuff106
8 - Asteroid

I have had zero success setting up the PostgreSQL ODBC connection and looking for a life line.

2 remote servers setup:

Alteryx desktop and automation installed on one.

Tableau Server installed on another one.

Trying to setup ODBC connection on Alteryx remote to connect to Remote with Tableau Server.

There is a Unicode and ANSI ODBC option. Tried both and seen posts/video's showing both.  Which should be used?

ODBCType.PNG

The database, server, port, username, & password should all be the credentials from the Tableau Server.... correct?

PostgreSQL.PNG

I get this error when suppling the credentials from the Tableau Server

errormsg.png

Any thoughts on what is causing/fix for the error?

Thanks,

Puff

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
19 - Altair

This isn't really an Alteryx question - this is an ODBC config question for your team. Is workgroup the Database? Do you need an SSL connection? I don't think anyone on Community can answer these questions for you.  Do you have SSL turned on for Tableau Server? Is Tableau Server whitelisted?

As far as ANSI vs Unicode - I haven't had a problem connecting with either.

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

@stapuff106 You will want to click the ODBC Admin button and create a connection with the information for your Postgres database. After doing so it will appear in the dropdown list that currently says "No ODBC DSNs Available".

More information about Postgres in Alteryx can be found here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/postgresql

stapuff106
8 - Asteroid

@Alteryx_AR I appreciate the response and will take a look.

@apathetichell If I asked a question like what is the color spectrum potential of water at 6 fathoms or chemical composition of a tire your statement would be relevant. I asked neither.

I did ask "There is a Unicode and ANSI ODBC option. Tried both and seen posts/video's showing both.  Which should be used?"

to which you replied "As far as ANSI vs Unicode - I haven't had a problem connecting with either." Answered my question.... It doesn't matter. So thank you.

I also asked "The database, server, port, username, & password should all be the credentials from the Tableau Server.... correct?"

A simple confirmation question. I assume they do, however, I try not to assume.

Neither asked to guess if my config was correct.

I and many like me post relevant question because many respond back with other area's to look at as potential solves.... like " Is Tableau Server whitelisted?"  Never crossed my mind and something I can look at as a potential solve. Again, I appreciate your response.

Puff

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hi! Just wanted to add a bit more color:

I presume that you are using the same credentials that you have for Tableau to try and configure your ODBC 64 connection. My presumption is these credentials are not working -otherwise you would not be posting. To reiterate:

Your ODBC 64 connection is not working. Getting this up and running is your FIRST priority. Setting up a connection in Alteryx is secondary. It does not matter what you do in Alteryx - you cannot connect an In-DB connection without a working connection in ODBC 64- so focus on that.

My belief is that what you are seeing is because of back end permissions or because of limitations on the credentials/account you are trying to set up your ODBC connection with. You should talk to your IT/whoever is providing you the permission for the Tableau server and let them know what you are seeing. They should be able to help.

Once you can get a connection through ODBC 64 - then you go into Alteryx and set up the Postgres connection as directed in the Alteryx set up guide. And yes - I haven't seen much difference between ANSI and Unicode - but YMMV. To be honest - that toggle is fairly minor and easy to adjust if something isn't working.

stapuff106
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell I appreciate you coming back to the thread and apologize for the slow response. 

Everything you stated is correct. Problem is I am the IT. Set up so many ODBC's I may have literally done a couple in my sleep.

I will be getting back on this today and post my results. 

Again... I appreciate your response.

Puff 

Labels