Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Search Multiple Fields for Supplier Names

awithing
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to clean up a database of equipment assets that we have in inventory.  I need to search multiple fields for a supplier name and populate a new column "Supplier" (the database has many more columns and rows than shown here).  The supplier name can show up in multiple fields and is often misspelled or the supplier name has changed since it was entered.  I created an Excel file with all of the suppliers and common ways that they can be misspelled or changed from.  I have tried doing multiple Find & Replace steps, one for each column I want to search, and then merging the findings back into a single column, but that gets messy rather quickly.  I also tried Transposing the data into a single column, but that is rather cumbersome to merge back into the list with a single supplier column as well.

awithing_0-1620853510024.png

Is there a way to search an entire row of data and populate a single output column?

9 REPLIES 9
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @awithing 

Are you able to provide these datasets, at least anonymised? 

I can try to give this a go for you!

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
awithing
6 - Meteoroid

Here is the Excel file with two tabs for the Dataset and the Lookup Table.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

perfect!
I think you may need to change some of your 'find/replace' terms, but this workflow works I believe as you wish:

TheOC_0-1620863179296.png

and the output:

TheOC_1-1620863188746.png

As you can see Platypus has turned to ACME inc as it has not replaced the inc

all that needs changing there is one of the Platypus to 'Platypus inc'.

I also added a second workstream, that replaces the whole field - so removes these issues, if theres a match. This may be more fitting

I hope this helps! Please mark as solution if it fixes your problem!
TheOC

Bulien
awithing
6 - Meteoroid

TheOC,

Thank you very much for helping me with this, much appreciated.  This gets me about halfway there, now I just need the corrected names output to a single field (it should look like the "Desired Output" column I added), along with the original fields.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @awithing 

Not a problem! Glad I could help. If you need any help with that let me know.

I think all you would need to do is supply a join tool at the end:

TheOC_0-1620908234547.png

Assuming tag number is a unique identifier, joining on that:

TheOC_1-1620908258099.png

And then you can select what fields you need from the original dataset, and which from the updated. You can also rename them in this tool:

TheOC_2-1620908289571.png

I've attached this, but you may need to change the join configuration to how you need it. 
If this has solved your problem please mark is as a solution to help future users! 

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
awithing
6 - Meteoroid

When I do that, it only picks up the data that was in the "Manufacturer" field, it does not pick up the "Model Number", "Vendor", or "Remarks" fields.  I need to collect all of the supplier data from all of the fields and merge it into a single field.

awithing_0-1620910410054.png

I apologize if I am missing something obvious, I am a bit of a newbie here.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @awithing 

The join tool allows you to select what fields you want to keep from each side, 

TheOC_0-1620910544143.png

Here you can see you are dropping the model number, vendor, and remarks field on the 'right' input of the tool. you need to hit the checkbox on the left side for this.

This may help too:
https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/join-tool

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
awithing
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, I can turn those on, but it leaves the info spread over four columns.  What I need is to have it all in a single column.

awithing_0-1620915122744.png

awithing
6 - Meteoroid

I think i found a way to merge the Suppliers back into a single output Field.  I used a Formula tool to create a new column for "Suppliers Found" and used that to Concatenate all of the suppliers into a single field/row for each item, then I did a second search of that field to replace the multiple concatenated values with a single value and a sort to rename the field and omit the old fields.

awithing_0-1621253011849.png

This ends up with multiple Find & Replace tools, but seems to get me the results I am looking for.  Does anyone see a better way to do this?

Labels