Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic validation of 4 columns

I2ufu5
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

What's now:
I have formula that validate data from 4 columns. If string in all 4 columns match, it marks it as a true otherwise as a false. That 4 columns comes from 4 different files.

What I want:

Since not everytime all 4 files will be loaded (instead i load an empty template file with just column names and no data) I need to modify that so it will be processing only those columns which were loaded. And i don't want to create a superlong formula were i manually code all cases.

Do you have any ideas that could help?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
dougperez
12 - Quasar

Try to use the multi row formula, select only the string fields

dougperez_0-1621249956254.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @I2ufu5 

Here is how you can achieve it.

Input: 4 columns with null where data is not loaded

atcodedog05_0-1621250108711.png

Workflow:

atcodedog05_1-1621250150249.png

1. Generate record ID as a key

2. Use transpose tool to covert 4 column to rows and set all other columns as keys

3. Use summarize tool, config countdistinctnonnull of values (which will check only non null values). If the count distinct is 1 then all values are same/match.

4. Use formula tool to calculate flag. True if countdistinct is 1 and false if not.

5. Using join tool to map all other columns back.

Hope this helps 🙂

I2ufu5
6 - Meteoroid

That look nice but i need a distinction between null value and column(file) not loaded at all.
What i mean by that is when I load files number 1,2,3 and not 4, workflow will produce that output:

RecordFile1File2File3File4Verification
1AAAnullTrue
2AnullAnullFalse

First row will be true because File4 wasn't loaded (no data in whole column)
Second row will be false because File2 was loaded but it had a null value at that index.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @I2ufu5 

I have modified the workflow to include the scenario.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1621253316455.png

1. I have added a data cleanse before transpose tool to remove null columns

atcodedog05_1-1621253444243.png

2. Changed summarize tool to count distinct including null. Now it been also considered as variation.

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels