Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SQLITE limitation - number of fields

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi folks,

Anyone know what the max number of fields you can have in a SQLITE database?  Google provideds mixed messages.  Whatever it is, anyway to work around it in Alteryx?  We want to put the final data for a predicive model into one table.  But it was requested for it to be de-normalized, resulting in a large number of fields, so I was curious.  

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Just tested it and it looks like it's 999 for the max fields.  From what I saw on Google, the default limit is 2000.  Why is Alteryx only 999?

I know everyone's dying to know - why the heck would you need more than 999 fields????

Short answer --- it's significanlty faster to run some algorithms on one "huge-number-of-fields" table, than to join hundreds of smaller tables, and then run the algorithms.

PeterS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello Michael,

After checking with our developers, the inability to export more than 999 fields to an SQLite database is due to a limit that is hardcoded into the SQLite driver.  Unfortuantely there are no work arounds.

Peter Stoddard
Manager, Technical Account Management
Alteryx, Inc.

_richardr
10 - Fireball

I just want to clarify this is a issue with the driver not SQLite as it supports by default 2000 columns.

"The default setting for SQLITE_MAX_COLUMN is 2000. You can change it at compile time to values as large as 32767. On the other hand, many experienced database designers will argue that a well-normalized database will never need more than 100 columns in a table." - http://sqlite.org/limits.html

Labels