Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run same workflow with inputs from different tab in an excel

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Experts,

I am new to Alteryx.  I am working on a workflow where I have multiple mapping table centrally stored in an excel (e.g. one mapping in one tab).  These mapping tables are similar in nature but with different numbers of columns, and I would like to process them with the same set of tasks and macro (e.g. run mapping1 first with the workflow, and then run mapping 2 with the same workflow, etc). 

Instead of copying the same workflow multiple times, I would like to tap to everyone's expertise to make it more streamline. Appreciate your help.

thank you.

E.

MAPPING.xlsx.jpgMapping_Sample.yxmc_.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @E_Liang,

As it looks like you are comfortable in making a batch macro, that would be my recommendation for this task you are looking to complete.

If you convert the process you have shown below into a batch macro and as the control parameter pass through the sheet name and then update that within the Input tool.

You can then use this batch macro in a separate workflow and pass through all the sheet names you need to process.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Joe

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

hi Joe,

Thank you for the valuable advice. 

I have tried to package my original workflow as a batch macro.  And since control parameter could not be place directly to an macro input, I have added a dynamic input.  Also, I have tried created a separate workflow to call this batch macro, but it returns with an error in my dynamic input, not sure what I have done wrong. Appreciate your further assistant.

Thank you very much

E

Multiple_input_sheet_flow_.jpgmultiple_tabs.yxmc.jpg

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @E_Liang,

WIthin your batch macro you do not need to have the mapping workbook as a Macro Input.

You can have it as a standard tool and use the control parameter to update the part you need :-)

I hope that helps.

Joe

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your advise.  I am now able to get through.

Thank you.

Eric

Praveen29
5 - Atom

Hi Eric,

Would you be able to attach your workflow or send a screenshot?

I'm facing the same problem but I can't seem to get it to work.

Kind regards,

Prav

E_Liang
6 - Meteoroid

hi Prav, 

we end up wrote a batch macro.  please see attached to see whether it helps your case.

let me know if you still other question.

regards,

Eric

ropra
7 - Meteor

Hey E_Liang

I am new to macros and have been trying to learn it. I have the same problem fo repeating the same process for multiple sheets of an excel file. Actually it is 50+. I have to create an alteryx workflow for each sheet. It would be great if you could explain your way, in a more detailed manner. I know you would be super busy, let me know if you get any time. I tried downloading your workflows and tried to understand it, but wasn't able to do so.

Hoping for a reply.

Cheers,

Rohit

Labels