Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replacing Null Fields with Imputation

ROUD89
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have an error using imputation in a dataset. When I use imputation I choose to replace [NULL] with the median. However, the result is that EVERY value in this variable becomes [NULL] instead of the desired effect. Any help here?

These are my variables, the variable that I wan to impute is Age-years, with field type 'Double' 

As you can see in my photos, the Age-years variable has become solely [NULL] values.my variablesmy variablesmy imputationmy imputationthe result which is not desiredthe result which is not desired
3 REPLIES 3
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @ROUD89

The imputation tool does do funny things with field names - I did the same as in your example, and the field with the original name comes back all null, but a new field with good values but a slightly different name (instead of age-years, it comes back as age_years) comes back with correct values.

I suspect that the reason that the imputation control does this is because it depends on the cross-tab control under the covers (which has this odd behavior with field names too).

Have a look at the attached workflow - hope this helps.    If not - feel free to post an alteryx workflow with a test data set and we can work together as a community to crack it with you.

Cheers

Sean

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

This issue is resolved in the 2020.2 release available here: http://downloads.alteryx.com

The latest version of the Imputation tool (v3) is used when adding the tool to the canvas in 2020.2.

To update an Imputation tool in an existing workflow, right-click the tool and select Imputation 3.

SelectV3.png

TimothyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JeffF @ROUD89 @SeanAdams

We have built some new missing value imputation macros here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Science/Expand-Your-Predictive-Palette-IV-Imputation-Beyond-Me...

Now everyone could use other imputation methods to replace Nulls. Give it a try!

TL

Labels