Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replace Name in Multiple Fields

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

Hello. I have a large set of data with many columns. I want to use the multi field formula tool to look for a specific case of a name, such as "The Rock" and change it to "Dwayne Johnson".

I already have an expression in a multi field formula that changes around names for me like so:

shaheer_1-1666191732171.png

I want to add the formula to this tools expression if possible like so:

shaheer_2-1666191806030.png

The reason why I want to do this is because when I add a second multi field formula tool right after the first one, I am unable to select any of the fields like I could in the first tool:

shaheer_3-1666191877017.png

shaheer_4-1666191914086.png

As you can see, in the second multi field formula tool, I am unable to select any fields. Any help would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@shaheer Can you provide a sample input and expected output result?

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

For example, input is:

Preferred Full NameAgeName2Name3Experience (years)
Rock, The40Cates, AnnaJames, Henry5
Gunn, James50Rock, TheAllan, Barbara4

After my regex replace formula Regex_Replace([_CurrentField_],'(\w+),\s?(\w+)','$2 $1') which is used in the multi field formula tool and selects the columns with names, output would look like:

Name1AgeName2Name3Experience (years)
The Rock40Anna CatesHenry James5
James Gunn50The RockBarbara Allan4

Next, I've tried using the formula tool like so:

shaheer_0-1666195719722.png

Which should change "The Rock" to "Dwayne Johnson" (I am having trouble with the syntax). I will then apply this same formula to all other columns by pressing the + symbol and changing the column name accordingly.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @shaheer, this is what I mentioned in my previous post and gets your desired answer:

DataNath_0-1666196097296.png

I'd definitely recommend sticking to your current approach of Multi-Field formula - doing this with a regular formula tool several times is way more inefficient and there's no need.

One thing to note is what I mentioned before - if there's a lot of names that you want to replace then I'd recommend doing a lookup table with find & replace rather than relying on an if statement.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@shaheer The Regex_Replace() formula you used is not correct. I provided a sample workflow for your reference

binuacs_0-1666196576706.png

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so so much

Labels