Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Render Tool with Error "Not Supported Format"

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi

I have four containers and each container contains formula tool that dictates the sheet name for its output which is an excel file.

For the first three created sheet names merge well in an excel file. All three was made with Output Data Tool.

Capture.JPG

However when I created the fourth one which involves a render tool. It gives an error of not supported format. I remove the sheet name in the formula tool and it went through without error however, the other 3 tabs or sheet names are missing.

error not supported format.PNG

Path.PNG

Please help and assist me on how I can merge the 4 tabs or sheet names in one excel file.

Looking forward for your expertise.

Thank,

Kamen

12 REPLIES 12
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @KamenRider, one way to resolve is to have to have all of your data steams output through the render tools.

Would likely need to take the sheets you're currently outputting through regular output tools, and turn those into tables using the table tool from reporting pallet. 

Once done, you can ring all tables together using a union and separate everything into different sheets using layout + render tools.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Perhaps you can try this: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/How-to-Render-to-Multiple-Named-Excel-Sheets/ba-p/1015...

If you're trying to output 4 sheets, and the 3 of them are formatted, then you may need to do it in a sequential manner because the 3 sheets are conflicting with the render tool. But oddly enough, when you "remove" the formulas, it works?

Maybe you can share across some data / screenshots - or if you're comfortable / allowed to, share the workflow export as well?

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
apathetichell
19 - Altair

You cannot do what you are trying to do without extra steps. First off - Render recreates whatever excel file it renders to - the entire file - each time it runs. You can render to multiple sheets - you can also output data AFTER RENDERING. There is a huge caveat there though which is that all of the sheets have to be created by a render tool (ie render to multipe sheets) prior to overwriting/appending the content of the dummy sheet with an output data tool.

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @apathetichell 

I am sure if I understand you. But the workflow contains of containers and each containers has output data. Now, I have 3 unformatted outputs and 1 output using a render tool.

I am trying to merge the four outputs into 1 excel file however it only capture the formatted data and the three outputs didn't appear.

I am hoping you can send me an example, something more visual so I can understand it well.

Thank

Kamen

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @caltang 

Thanks for the response. Actually I have 3 unformatted outputs and 1 formatted output (using with render tool). I am not sure how I am going to process this sequentially. Can you please elaborate and/or give me an example? Thanks for the link also however upon checking it, the output deals all in formatted output. I hope you can show me an example containing both types of formats.

I can't give the workflow since we are prohibited due to confidential info. However I can send the structure of my workflow. I have encircled the outputs generated. As I say, there are 3 unformatted output (using output tool) and 1 formatted output which I hope to be merge into one file using by tabs. 

Below is the screenshot. 

screenshot.PNG

I do hope you can provide me a sample on how I am going to do in merging them.

Thanks and waiting for your response.

Kamen

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I cannot really see much from the image even after zooming in, but my guess would be to simplify your output. As what @apathetichell said, you cannot render and then have the others not be render. 

Can you make the 3 outputs via Reporting tools as well? Change them into render, then follow the link I sent you by merging them with a Union and Layout tool, then export them via Sheet Names. I think that will be easier.

I know you want to keep your 3 outputs unchanged, but if you use render and set the parameters, the aesthetics are the same.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
KamenRider
11 - Bolide

@caltang 

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try create one and once done will let you know of the outcomes. Same also if I encountered some errors.

Please bear with me.

Thanks,

Kamen

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @caltang @apathetichell @gautiergodard 

I'm here again. I was able to convert the unformatted data to formatted data by adding a table to it. Below is the sample idea of connecting the files to create a tab into one file.

sample format.PNG

This is not my workflow but this is how I update the workflow I've created. The first input file consist of a number of columns and rows that I need to adjust the paper size from the render tool to avoid an error.

sample format2.PNG

However, the dilemma is that it also affects the table width of the other tabs. Is there a way I could retain or keep the column width of the other table? The more I increase the paper size to accommodate the columns in the first input file, the more it extends and affects the other input files. And it is not good to look at having the column width extended.

I hope you could help me on this by showing me some samples.

Thanks,

Kamen

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hello @KamenRider 

Unfortunately, i have also found this to be a limitation.

I dont believe there is a work around for this, but hope the community can prove me wrong!

Labels