Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Render Tool - Excel - Column Width Formatting

aweiss2k
7 - Meteor

I have source data with about 75 columns that I want to format and output as an Excel file.  The main issue I am having is that I cannot get the Render tool to output the file properly.  I pipe the data to the "Table" tool and set everything to "Automatic" and then send that to the Render tool.  The Render Tool seems to require setting a Page Size, but that's irrelevant for an Excel file...I'm not trying to print it.  I guess I want the page size to be whatever is needed to set the auto-sized column width's properly.  Perhaps I am missing something?  Is there another way to do this?  I tried connecting an Output tool directly to the Table tool but that...also didn't work.  Appreciate any suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

@aweiss2k you're absolutely right in using the Render tool here, as you're outputting from a reporting snippet (Table tool). The paper size in the case of Excel just represents how much space you're giving the render. Here you can see if I just leave it as the default setting, I get a warning and incredibly squashed output:

DataNath_0-1666367511780.png

DataNath_1-1666367521514.png

Whereas if I use a custom paper size and increase the width to give the render sufficient space:

DataNath_2-1666367579977.png

Whilst you work out the correct sizing, it's a good idea to output to a temporary file as you can see in my screenshots. Once you've found a good fit, choose a specific file and render away.

Hope this helps - please let us know if you need further assistance!

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

This is the exact problem I have with the existing tools: 

The problem with the current Basic Table and Render tools are they are geared towards reporting, with a focus on page size and margins.
Many of us use Excel as simply a general output method, with no consideration for fitting the output on a printed page.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a solution available today.

You could write an Alteryx workflow to generate a PowerShell script, then call the script.  I have a script written in another language (ACL) that creates a PowerShell script for Excel formatting.  I just haven't had time to convert it from ACL to Alteryx.

I created an Idea to request better Excel output options.  If you'd care to click the Like button maybe we can get Alteryx to provide better options:

Enhance options for Excel output
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Enhance-options-for-Excel-output/idi-p/84326...

If there are any ACL experts out there who could convert my ACL code to Alteryx, that would be a huge help.  Here's a sample of the ACL code,  with the line highlighted that creates a line in the PowerShell script.

ChrisTX_0-1666367764275.png

Chris

alteryxisconfusing
8 - Asteroid

Ugh I'm facing the exact same issue! https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Trouble-with-column-widths-can-I-force...

The custom page size works to not cut off my text, but then all my auto column widths get thrown off in my other tabs...ugh.

JohnSackey
5 - Atom

This worked for me. I tried custom page size and 50 x100 worked pretty well for my data in excel

Labels