Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex

Sarath27
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

Could you please help me with regex for below scenarios?

1. Identify all the special characters in a string excluding  ,-/&()  

2. Column named called Street_Address, where I need to write regex to identify any value which starts with #

Example : #7, #Benny street, # 7 (space between # and number), # Benny street (space between # and alphabet)

#benny street   -  To be identified
#7 - invalid -To be identified
# 7 - invalidTo be identified
# benny street - To be identified
#7 benny street - Not to be identied, because this is valid one.

7 REPLIES 7
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Sarath27,

Your first scenario could be solved with regex like this:

([^a-zA-Z0-9,\-\/&\(\)]+)

This says capture any patterns of text which do not contain a-z 0-9 or any of the characters you specified. I had to backslash some of the like ( is \( because ( is a regex special character so needs to be escaped by a backslash.

IraWatt_0-1668620980251.png

If you want to learn more about Regex the community has some really quick interactive videos on getting to grips with it here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Parsing%20...

Any questions or issues please ask

Ira Watt
Technical Consultant
Watt@Bulien.com 

braveraj
11 - Bolide

Hi @Sarath27 

@IraWatt has you covered on identifying the special characters. If you want to match the pattern for the street address then the formula #\d+\s\w+.* will identify correct addresses and when used on a filter show you the ones that need to be fixed.

REGEX_Match([STREET_ADDR_TX], "#\d+\s\w+.*")  

Sarath27
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @braveraj @IraWatt 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No worries @Sarath27, have a good one! 😄

Sarath27
8 - Asteroid

@IraWatt Could you please help me with RegEx for the below?

Objective : To identify records which starts with #. I have used this RegEx (^[#][A-Za-z 0-9]), it works fine.

But the twist is, below records should  not be flagged, because they are good data  # (number) (address) is a good data, but if #(number alone) and #(address) should be flagged.

# 4 STAR

#4 MARS

Street
# 7000
# 16903
apple
#4 MARS
# 4 STAR
Sarath27
8 - Asteroid

@IraWatt In the above records, even though the below two records starts with #, it should not be flagged.

#4 MARS
# 4 STAR
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Sarath27 can you share how you are using your regex? If you want to flag those rows this works:

IraWatt_0-1668649676257.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels