Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Help

ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Hello Friends,

I have attached a test sheet. It contains numbers and few alphabets but at the starting of the digits, there is a symbol that I am not able to remove. It does not shows in the Alteryx Result window but it is visible with Browse tool. Please tell me how can I keep everything in the same column except the symbol?

4 REPLIES 4
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@ArijitRoy I opened the file you attached and there is a weird character that looks like a question mark inside a box that comes before the digits in records 1-9. In Alteryx it presents as "_x000C_", so I just used the Replace function to get rid of it.

Input.PNG

Replace Exp.PNG

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That ? symbol is actually an arrow symbol. You can see it in the formula of Excel here:

image.png

Because it is a symbol and not a character, it defaults to "_x000C_". Doing what @Prometheus did is the best method to remove it. It also changes your entire column into string type.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Hi Friends, I am getting this data from a text file. I gave you in excel that is why you are getting _x000C_ in front. I have attached a text file with same data. I need dynamic solution with RegEx formula.

dwstada
11 - Bolide

the expression [^0-9a-z/-]?([0-9a-z/-]+) should help you. If you have symbols other than / and - in your data, add those in the expression (in both [bracket] lists)

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels