Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

RegEx_Replace formula Find 8 consecutive numbers/digits and return that 8 digit value

taxguy33
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I'm trying to grab the 8 digit number from the "Orig 1st Ref" column in my workflow via a REGEX_Replace formula, but I can't seem to get the syntax correctly.

If my "Orig 1st Ref" value is something like   "Random Word/12345678-001" then the below formula will return "Random Word/-001" when in reality I am just trying to get it to return 12345678 (the 8 digit number only) as the final result.

Please help me out - I'd really like to use the formula tool and not result to using the "Regex" tool is at all possible - I feel like there definitely is a way to do this, but I'm matching the 8 digits, not matching everything but the 8 digits which is my problem.

Current Regex_Replace formula:

if IsEmpty([Project #]) and [AtLeast8#s]>=1 then
REGEX_Replace([orig 1st Ref], "\b\d{8}\b","$1")
else [Project #]
endif

Thanks,

taxguy33

2 REPLIES 2
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This should work:

REGEX_Replace(
REGEX_Replace([text],'.+?(?=\b\d{8}\b)',''),
'(?<=\b\d{8}\b).*$','')

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @taxguy33, maybe this one works for you: REGEX_Replace([Field1], '.+\/(\d{8})-\d+', '$1')

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels