Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reading data from multiple tabs in an excel input file

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I have a requirement in which I want to bring in the data from 4-5 different tabs in an excel file before performing any scrubbing. The header names are same in all the tabs. How can I accomplish this instead of bringing in input tool for each tab?

23 REPLIES 23
taylor_made
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello, 

The top part of this article should explain how you can import multiple tabs with the same schema at once using the dynamic input tool: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets... 

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Will this work if I need to bring in the selective sheets?

AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can add in a filter tool if you want to add a condition on which sheets to bring in. So it would look something like this:

AmalinaH_1-1655917132027.png

Attached sample excel data source and workflow.

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I'm not able to figure out this step in the dynamic input tool. How do I make dynamic input tool read from the input tool?

Idyllic_Data_Geek_0-1655918141707.png

AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

The input tool is configured to only import the list of sheet names from your Excel workbook:

AmalinaH_0-1655918321974.png

So the result would look something like this:

AmalinaH_1-1655918354376.png

The dynamic input tool would import based on the Field "Sheet Names" which is your list of all the sheets that you got from the first tool. The action to "Change File/Table Name" basically means that the dynamic input does a "batch" processing input of every sheet name in the list and unions the results together to provide a single combined dataset of all the sheets.

AmalinaH_2-1655918583970.png

Not sure if I fully answered your question but let me know if I can be clearer :)

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

my question was on the below highlighted, How do I connect to the same file in dynamic input tool that I connected to in step 1 using input tool

Idyllic_Data_Geek_0-1655919312811.png

@AmalinaH @taylor_made 

AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek, I'm not sure if there is a simple solution for that (unless I'm missing something!). Is there a reason you can't select same file again? It's more just for the purposes of providing a template of the file rather than taking the data itself, as this would be based off the sheets that are specified.

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

It does not work. It is giving me an error for dynamic input schema. Even though the schema name is same

AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are you able to show us a screenshot of your Data Input configuration as well as the Dynamic Input configuration? 

Labels