Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reading JSON file off desktop stops at 104 records?

merrij
6 - Meteoroid

I have a very large JSON file that I'm trying to parse out. The file is over 7,000 lines when opened in notepad. I've tried a few methods to get this into designer and parse it out but it keeps limiting what's input to 104 records as shown below. What am I doing wrong here or is there some limitation I don't know about?

merrij_0-1618273147819.png

merrij_1-1618273186906.png

merrij_2-1618273222569.png

merrij_3-1618273249186.png

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

HI @merrij 

Have you tried checking the "Search SubDirs" box? Perhaps those additional values are stored at a sub directory level.

merrij
6 - Meteoroid

Hi CharlieS, I just tried that. Still getting the same 104 results.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hmm. the next step I'd recommend is reading as just text into Alteryx and using other tools to parse out the data you need. Try setting the file type to CSV and setting a delimiter of "\0" (which means none). So now all the text will be input and try the JSON Parse tool, or other parse tools.

Also, if this is a file/sample you can share, I'm sure the Community would take a crack. 

merrij
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks CharlieS,

That seems to have solved the issue! Not sure if you can help me with my next battle, but it looks like the JSON is missing a "record" identifier. In other words, for each record, there is metadata like the keywords for that record, but the JSON_Name repeats for each unique ID instead of having a record number that increases by 1 each new ID. Do you know any tricks for getting this data into a table format without using a record number in the transpose tool? 

merrij_0-1618411573034.png

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So it looks like you have repeating values in [JSON_Name] that you want to group with a record ID value so the data can be transposed. I recommend using my favorite tool: the Tile tool!

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/tile-tool

Se the Tile Method to "Unique Value" on the [JSON_Name] field. Assuming the values in [JSON_Name] are consistent, this will assign a tile number which can be used as a record ID value for transformation. Give this a shot and let us know how it goes. 

Labels