Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Puzzle #1 - CoG Analytics - The Secret Organization

CoG
13 - Pulsar

This puzzle was developed by CoG Analytics. Check out our YouTube channel for Alteryx-based content: @CoGAnalytics.

Comment if you solve this puzzle and let me know what you think (or if you find any bugs)! A lot of work went into this. 

V1.1 - Thanks to feedback from @gawa, I clarified the clue in the workflow building section. Remember that each part needs to be completed in order for this puzzle to be solved properly!

Instructions:

The goal of this puzzle is to identify the proper initial input and build a workflow (as needed) to get a "Key" value after the last part that you can use on the Final Output. You do not need to open the macros at all to solve each part. Additionally, each macro is built to discourage cheating (feel free to open them up after you solve this puzzle to see how they work).

Briefing #1:

Look alive, recruit! Welcome to our operation. You are one of very few data experts, skilled enough to assist in this mission. We've been receiving reports from our agents in the field about an underground organization with less than noble aspirations. We know very little about them currently - we don't even know their name, but that's where you come in. We've managed to obtain this workflow, which we've confirmed contains a message from the organization. We need you to crack it.

It should be obvious, but everything here is Classified and Top Secret.

3 REPLIES 3
OTrieger
11 - Bolide

@CoG 
It seems to me as if you are trying to give us something that you need and/or not sure how to do or solve.

If you knew it you would not write the following:
Comment if you solve this puzzle and let me know what you think (or if you find any bugs)! A lot of work went into this.

Why don't you suggest it to Alteryx to add it to the weekly challenge?

gawa
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

hi @CoG It seems you already miss Advent of Code, doesn't it?😀

As I tried to solve your puzzle, I need some advice how to proceed further. I tried to cheat by seeing inside of Macro, but I immediately stopped it(yes, as you said, it's intentionally discouraging!)

(Part1)

Am I supposed to find the correct six numbers at this point?

I just checked output changes based on the given 6 numbers, and that is the goal at Part1.

(Workflow Building)

Is this a famous phrase in US? And, without knowing its context, can't I solve it? It doesn't ring my bell.

"Keep your hands out of the __________ jar."

(Part3)

Is it sure that 3 columns & 1 rows data? Am I supposed to pivot data from 1 column and 3 rows?

At this point, recruit, you should have 3 columns & 1 row of data.

CoG
13 - Pulsar

@gawa 

Yes, I do! I am very excited for it this year. Also, I am very glad you have tried my puzzle (and thank you for the feedback/questions)

For the puzzle: Each part should be completed in order, as prior solutions feed new information (and context) for future parts. What part are you actually on?

To answer your questions

Part 1

Spoiler
To complete this part you must identify the six input numbers that pass through the macro without being changed (in other words, there are 6 numbers such that input = output). The hints in the puzzle should provide added support.

Workflow Building

Spoiler
It is definitely more localized to the US. If you have solved Part 2, there is added context from the output of the second macro that can assist. I will update the Original Puzzle workflow with a clearer clue:
"Keep your hands off of my chocolate chip ______! (6 letters)"

Part3

Spoiler
If you have solved all prior parts, this should be much clearer as to how you should approach. And yes, it is 3 columns & 1 row 

Labels