Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pivot Tables Keep Getting Deleted after I Run Flow and Render

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

Hi - I have a rather large and complex flow for data collection.  For part of this I put the data through the Render tool to create an excel output.  What I then do is create pivots in excel off of the data (pivots on separate tabs).

However, what I have just found, is that when I run the flow again and the rendered excel file is produced the tabs with pivots on have been deleted.  Is there any setting that will allow the pivots to remain there each time I run the flow so I don't have create them each time?

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JTB76 ,

First of all I would stop using pivot tables in Excel!

Aside from that, are you trying to output new files or new tabs each time?

If you're trying to simply update the pivot tables with the new data, then define a range for the data table and build the pivot from that table. Then, output from alteryx into that data range. This will then simply update your tables.

M.

Bulien

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

Hi M - Thanks.

Each time I run the flow, it will overwrite the existing data with the new data.  Which tools would I use to create a pivot that users can filter on specific data elements within Alteryx ?

Thanks again.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @JTB76 

as @mceleavey says - the way to do this is not to use a render tool, but to use an output tool, and overwrite your data sheet.

If you google "Alteryx Active Pivot" there are quite a few threads on this same discussion.

As to what to use instead of Excel Pivot tables - you can build the report your users are looking for using the reporting tool (i.e. what are they actually trying to answer from the pivot table) or you could use Tableau to allow them to filter the data as they go along.

Labels