Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing multiple choice survey responses when the survey answer options include a comma

arundaka02
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I've been tasked with transforming the output of a lengthy skills matrix related Google form. A chunk of the survey invites respondents to select which skills they would like to learn more about. 

The Google form / survey is set up in a tick/select box format and when I extract the data, it looks like this: 

NameSkill
Colleague AAlteryx, Power BI, Tableau
Colleague BUse Case Modelling, RAIDD Management - Risks, Assumptions, Issues, Dependencies, Decisions raising and logging, Robotic Process Automation
Colleague CPython - Programming, Microsoft Cloud

My workflow currently includes Transpose and Text to Columns (configured to split to rows and ',' delimiter) tools to transform this data and whereas the majority of the data set looks good, I'm encountering a limitation with Colleague B's responses as my data, following parsing and renaming columns with a Select tool, now looks like this: 

NameSkills colleague would like to learn more about
Colleague AAlteryx
Colleague APower BI
Colleague ATableau
Colleague BUse Case Modelling
Colleague BRAIDD Management - Risks
Colleague BAssumptions
Colleague BIssues
Colleague BDependencies
Colleague BDecisions raising and logging
Colleague BRobotic Process Automation
Colleague CPython - Programming
Colleague CMicrosoft Cloud

As you can see, there is a limitation to my workflow setup currently, as the 'RAID - Management - Risks, Assumptions, Issues, Dependencies, Decisions raising and logging' response has been parsed when I don't want it to be. My current configuration is not accounting for this response, and these other selections: 

Skills
RAIDD Management - Risks, Assumptions, Issues, Dependencies, Decisions raising and logging
Configuration Management - Documentation, Version Control, Trackers and Recordkeeping mechanisms
Requirements Management: Elicitation, Engineering, Inventory and Change Requirements
Epic, Features, Themes and Story Approach
Google suite - Sheets, Docs, Presentation, GDrive
SAP - Systems, Applications, and Products

Can anyone help suggest how I may overcome this? Is there a sophisticated Formula tool that may be needed?

Many thanks,

KA

2 REPLIES 2
MichalM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@arundaka02 

As you already know which Skills cause the issue, you can replace the comma with a different character (eg. a pipe | ), use Text To Columns to split the data and replace the pipe back with a comma - see the below and attached

MichalM_0-1606927636444.png

arundaka02
8 - Asteroid

Fantastic. Thank you, @MichalM !

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels