Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse string into rows, then concatenate in specific order

jasondika
6 - Meteoroid

I have a long, irregularly formatted text string field that looks like this:

Cake ingredients: flour, sugar, milk, eggs.  Contains: milk; wheat     Frosting ingredients: sugar, butter, water, food coloring    Allergen alert: contains milk.  Conventional oven: preheat to 350 degrees.  Bake for 40 minutes.  Product of the USA.

I need to parse ingredients, allergens, preparation instructions, country of origin, and a few other fields, then re-concatenate like fields (ingredients with ingredients, allergens with allergens) in the same order in which they appear.  The resulting text would appear like this:

[Ingredients:] Cake ingredients: flour, sugar, milk, eggs.  Frosting ingredients: sugar, butter, water, food coloring

[Warnings:] Allergen alert: contains milk.  Contains: milk; wheat

[Instructions:] Conventional oven: preheat to 350 degrees.  Bake for 40 minutes.  

[Country of Origin:] Product of the USA.

I have figured out how to parse the values and concatenate them back together, but I can't figure out how to concatenate the values in a pre-defined order.  First, I look for keywords in the string and insert delimiters, then I parse the string into multiple rows, then I parse each value into two fields--one containing the data type (e.g., ingredients, warnings, etc.).  I can then use the Summarize tool to concatenate all values with the same data type together, or I can do this step in the Cross-Tab tool, but the fields are not being combined in the correct order.  (Note: I'm not performing any other operations between these parse and cross-tab steps.)  I think I need to somehow insert the sort during my first parsing step, but I can't figure out how to do this.

2 REPLIES 2
pcatterson
11 - Bolide

You may find a RegEx Parse more straight forward.  I have included an example:

jasondika
6 - Meteoroid

Unfortunately, the order of delimitation varies from record to record.  I think I figured it out using the Multi-Row Formula tool to number each row after the initial parse.  Thanks!

Labels