Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Overwrite selected columns and retain content in other columns

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Hello All,

I have 13 columns and I need to overwrite only the first 10 columns. The data from columns K-M should remain the same. I tried doing the following things but nothing worked:

1. While saving the sheet I specified the column range. (A-J)

2. In the output tool I specified " data.xlsx|||Overwrite$A:J " by this way, and also used the 'Overwrite Sheet/ Range' option.

Please let me know what can be done.

Please find attached the screenshots.

Thank you!!

20 REPLIES 20
MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

I deselected the last 3 columns. But now I have only first 10 columns in my output sheet :( 

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

I deselected the last 3 columns in the Select tool. Now I have only 10 columns in the output file :(

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It worked for me, and your original configuration looks correct from one of the initial screenshots. Can you send over the workflow? Go to Options > Export Workflow and send the .yxzp.

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your help! Please find attached workflow

Expected output:

Columns1-10 (from Test Consolidated Data) Columns 11-13 from Static Sheet

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This seems to be the .yxmd - can you send over the .yxzp as mentioned above?

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Sorry, my bad. Attaching the .yxzp file.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thank you for sending it - however your workflow worked perfectly fine on my end and produced the expected behavior! After I deselected the 3 columns at the end of the Select tool and added the number to the range, it kept the 3 columns at the end as is. I re-saved it and attached it here just in case there is anything subtly different...

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much for trying, I really appreciate it!! However when I opened your workflow in Alteryx last 3 columns were selected in the Select tool (not sure what's wrong),  and I am still getting the same error.

In the browse tool I am getting only 10 columns :((

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That’s correct - the browse tool being after the select means it will only display the 10 columns selected. If you want to see the data before the select tool, you can put a browse earlier in the workflow. 

The Output function should be doing what is needed though - the Browse doesn’t reflect the sheet, just the data going into the sheet which is just those 10 columns. 

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

My TestOutput1.xlsx is having only 10 columns after deselecting the last 3 columns in Select tool and executing the workflow. I checked all the settings in the workflow and they look good to me. I am not sure what's going wrong :(

Labels