Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output to existing Excel Template - Append Field Map does not work

David8
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to write my output to a corporate excel template that I need to retain formatting for.  I utilized this template as my output and defined the range A2:CG1000 to give myself ample space.  I do not have every title in my data set, but those should just fill "null."  I tried mapping (see screenshots) but it just seems to output at column 1 moving right regardless of how I custom mapped it.

What am I doing wrong, please help.

3 REPLIES 3
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would not custom map - I would instead use a Select tool beforehand to order it correctly, then use the Output Data tool afterwards. 

even then, you may not see the formatting preserved as I have noticed the Skip Field Names option sometimes doesn’t preserve the formatting. So I’m the same Select tool you can rename the headers to ensure they come across the same way as the template. 

David8
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I eventually broke and did that, generated "dummy columns" and have everything named the same as template (for like 100+ columns).

However, my workflow only generated roughly 20 columns of information, I do not need to fill in the other 80 rows.

When I use the output mode "Append to data" and automatically have it map - it works.  But this is not repeatable as I need to run this flow every quarter and it needs to rinse and repeat, not "append" to the prior set.

So you'd think you can use "overwrite existing sheet / range" - but when I do that, the mapping stops working, thus I had to create dummy columns to match the template format.

Apparently they used to have an option called "delete and append" for legacy excel.  Not sure why the devs removed that option as it literally is more important that "append" and "overwrite existing range" obviously doesn't work.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I am not sure of your exact requirements, but could you bring across the original information from the initial Input for the 80 columns you were mentioning? That way you could only update the 20 that are needed and use the overwrite option.

Labels