Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output Tool Error: Unable to write file for write

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

I recently upgraded to Alteryx Designer version 2023.2.1

Have a workflow where I am writing to a file on a range of different rows. The workflow used to run smoothly without any error.

After upgrade, now the workflow updates 2-3 rows and give error: Unable to open file for write <filename>. Can't open file <filename>. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32) (<filename> is complete path of the file.)

I am getting the error only after I upgraded Alteryx. Have tried checking/unchecking AMG Engine option. Is there any workaround to resolve the issue?

Screenshot 2024-07-09 232856.png

3 REPLIES 3
albert_alaluf
10 - Fireball

Hi @harshendra 

I think the problem is you're trying to write to the same file at the same time. If you read the error, . The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32) (<filename> is complete path of the file.), it's mentioned there. I suggest you to use block until done or even better Control Container to avoid this.

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

@albert_alaluf I am using one output tool only. The error occurs on the tool itself, so using Block Until Done or Control Container will not help. Here, my issue is the workflow was working fine before. Now after upgrade, I get this error out of nowhere. I read some posts to enable/disbale AMP engine but that does not resolve my problem.

Maithreyan
5 - Atom

Hi @harshendra 

Can you check this with Alteryx 2022 ( in a colleagues system, if available ) to rule out the file based errors and narrow it down to an error caused by 2023?

I encountered the above error once and I had to delete the .bak file and all the .xlsx output files ( or ) create a new folder for the output, after that a fresh run solved my issue.

Labels