Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output - Overwrite Specific Columns, Not Entire Sheet

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am trying to produce an output from Alteryx, that only overwrites the data in certain columns. The reason being the end columns contain some previous formatting in Excel. I have attached an example output. 

From this example, I would ideally like Alteryx to only overwrite columns A - F with the data.

My flow and output will always contain the same amount of columns, so if I specified A-F there would be no issues of it having extra columns added later down the line. I am unable however to determine the number rows in the output as this number will change frequently.

Please may someone advise if this is possible, and explain how I do this? I have tried using Overwrite Sheet or Range and specify which range but it won't work.

Thank you in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

Here is the modification of your existing workflow and its working.

atcodedog05_0-1641482509947.png

Hope this helps : )

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

This worked great, thank you. However, i wanted to test it a couple more times just to make sure it was robust, when i added more lines to see if they got copied over the workbook became corrupt - i tried again with less lines and again the workbook came up as corrupt.

Do you know why this is?

Lauren_Holmes_0-1641483615877.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

This sometimes happens it depends on the overwrite file sometimes it doesn't accept the changes. Just do some permutation and combination and see how can you get it working. Maybe adjusting the range.

You can share me a scenario with issue i can give it a try.

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

I have found the corruption comes when i am adding lines - if the overwrite data is less than the original it works no issues, however as the new has more lines than there were originally, it comes up with errors:

Lauren_Holmes_0-1641484786803.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

It seems to work for me check the attached files. Rows in output file is lesser then input.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @Lauren_Holmes 

Cheers and have a nice day!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels