Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Numbers different after join tool

Meoth
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

I have a flow where I join the two Files using Join tool. Input 1 has 728,904 records. Input 2 has 578,391 records. The Final output after join is mismatching with the Inputs result. Below are the images.

Input1 result:

Input1 result.PNG

Input2 result:

Input2 result.PNG

Final result:

Final result.PNG

Below is the flow.

Flow.PNG

Input1 Fields:

Input1.PNG

Input2 Fields:

Input2.PNG

Unique tool to Input1: Year, Month, Date, Country, ID, Code, Stat.

Summarize tool to Input 2: Group by: Year, Month, Date, Country, ID, Code, Stat

Sum: Act, Cons

Join Configuration: Carried all the Input1 fields and Input2 (Act, Cons) fields

Join.PNG

Formula connected to Inner Join output: 

Fromula.PNG

Appreciate the help. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Meoth 
What you mean by "not maching",
Here is how it works

The total number of records of L and J anchors equals the number of records of Data Input 1 (L anchor for input)

The total number of records of R and J anchors equals the number of records of Data Input 2 (R anchor input)

Meoth
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu , Thank you for your response.

I meant the Act and Cons value is different between the Inputs and Output after the join tool. Please see images in the post.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Are the two input records that you shared the only records for Date = 2023-01-29 & Stat = "Lag3"?

Is what you shared/can you check the 'L' & 'R' Inputs and the 'J' output. I would check the Summarize & Unique Tools, as those have the highest risk, based on what you've shared, of changing your output. 

Alternatively, Add a Filter Tool to Input 1 and track just the records that have [Date] = "2023-01-29" && [Stat] = "Lag3", this way you can more easily identify the source of the issue. It is very unlikely to be the Join tool.

Meoth
8 - Asteroid

Hi @AndrewDMerrill,

Yes, the two input records that I shared here the only records for Date = "2023-01-29" & Stat = "Lag3"

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Meoth 
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Agree with @AndrewDMerrill , maybe we can isolate the target record only and check if the Summarize tool changed the number.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

usual culprits  1) something you think is unique is not unique. therefore instead of 1-1 matches you have a 1-> many match. 2) you are unioning your data correctly - but looking at the wrong fields - this is because something is renamed as Right_{fieldname} after join - but not when unioning the left/right unjoined anchors. 3) you are not unioning the left/right unjoined anchors correctly. 4) some combo of the above.

Labels