Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-field Calculations, Multi-row Calculation

Joy1
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I am trying to do operations on hundreds of fields. Here is a simplified example of what I am trying to achieve:

Jan 2018 - Company A RevenueFeb 2018 - Company A RevenueMarch 2018 - Company A RevenueJan 2018 - Company B RevenueFeb 2018 - Company B RevenueMarch 2018 - Company C RevenueTotal For JanTotal For FebTotal For Mar
Big Accounts6895505685100124180150
Medium Accounts44178665799710996183
Small Accounts818653217291029382

The idea here is that:

Field 7 (Total Jan)= Field 1 + Field 4

Field 8 (Total Feb)= Field 2 + Field 5

Field 9 (Total Mar)= Field 3 + Field 6

The Equation itself is a bit more complex. The obvious way to do it is to create three different equations for the three fields. Except in my case it will be 100s of equations. On excel I could just drag the equation and get all the rest.

Ideally, we can do an iterative equation as follows:

Field x = Field x-6  + Field x-3

The problem is that the multi-field formula only has current field with no option manipulate the index otherwise

Another option is to transpose the matrix and try to apply the multi-row formula equations. However, I failed to be able to achieve this. 

Any help is much appreciated. I am fairly new to Alterix so bare with me please!!

10 REPLIES 10
Joy1
8 - Asteroid

Impressive solutions! It seems to be such a tough task for things excel could do in a second. I guess while loops and column indices are non-existent here, which complicates everything.

Anyway, thanks for the support! I really appreciate it. Let me know if you come up with a more simplistic approach though.

Take care 

Labels