Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Matching two data sets on two different fields

lamiah13
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all - I am trying to determine the best tool and workflow logic to use to identify 'matches' across 2 data sets.

I'd like to match on a unique identifier and a date (exact and +/- days). Any ideas or thoughts on the best way to map out this logic? I've been exploring using fuzzy match or the join tool.

2 REPLIES 2
DataNath
17 - Castor

Don’t have my laptop to hand at the moment but you could generate extra rows for each record to reflect +/- however many days, match on the unique ID and those and then use a unique tool afterwards to remove the duplicates?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @lamiah13,

Don't know how many +/- days you want but this is how I would do this:

IraWatt_1-1653415528283.png

The join on the unique identifier is straight forward (shown above). For the +/- a few days I would use the generate rows tool, It will let you generate the days +/- for each row going from this:

IraWatt_2-1653415577640.png

To this: 

IraWatt_3-1653415643821.png

That way you can join on this new date column and endure everything is passed through if it is within (in this case a 7 day window).

Please ask if any questions :)

HTH,

Ira

Labels