Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Lookup and populate value within the same table

sunshine2
5 - Atom

Hello all! I’m new to Alteryx and am still exploring its functionalities. I have a scenario that I have spent some time attempting with no success.

An excerpt of my data set looks as follows:

PNG 1.png

Value date is only assigned for ‘Type’ = KY. Therefore, for each ‘Type’ that is KR, I need to search the corresponding value date assigned to the KY document based on the clearing document number within the same table. I tried the multi-row formula but do not know the right expression to achieve the below result (especially when there are multiple clearing documents with the same value date):

PNG 2.png

Thank you!!

7 REPLIES 7
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

can you share the sample data and desired sample result in excel format ?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would suggest:

IIF([Type]="KR",[Row-1:Value Date],[Value Date])

I choose to update the exisitng field and set it to group by account (so it wouldnt copy across)

2018-11-29_07-45-52.png

Sample attached

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

The multi-row with the group by is the best option if your data is ordered.

If it's not ordered then something like this :

2018-11-29 19_08_24-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow6_.png

Where you filter the KY records, summarize to get the date, then join by Document No to get the result (maybe a Select in there somewhere to clean up the output)

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@cmcclellan good point

You could also add a sort tool to order the data prior to the Multi Row if need - Sort Ascending By Account and Descending By Type

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Definitely :)   I didn't think of sort :)

I was actually working on my solution when you posted it, so I still wanted to post mine.  Your solution is more elegant though and that's what I like about Alteryx - having the most streamlined, easy to follow workflow :)

sunshine2
5 - Atom

Thank you! This is great!

sunshine2
5 - Atom

@cmcclellan, thank you for the workflow!

i realised the other way is also to use a filter and a find and replace right after.

PNG 3.PNG

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels