Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List Box Not Working Properly: Error Unknown Variable

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,  I have a list box for a list of state abbreviations

I am leveraging an IN clause for my filter.  When I select a state like GA for example I get an error.  

Unknown variable "AL" which is just the first state in my list

7 REPLIES 7
DataNath
17 - Castor

@losingh are you able to share any more information about your workflow and how it's set up/configured?

If you're using values from a field then first of all summarize and cross-tab like them like so:

DataNath_0-1661959292005.png

Then ensure you're using the following List Box configuration, with 'generate custom list' selected:

DataNath_1-1661959326138.png

Output:

DataNath_2-1661959344175.png

I've attached the mock app I used here for you to reverse engineer/refer back to if your configuration was off slightly. If you're still having issues, let us know with some more screenshots/share your flow if possible and we can help remedy the issue!

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

I have it manually configured.

losingh_0-1661959473938.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

That's strange, unless I'm missing something obvious this looks to be configured right - I've even changed mine to manual and still works fine. If you run the app in test mode by going Interface Designer (Ctrl+Alt+D) > Test view (magic wand icon) > Select some values from the list > Open Debug and then click on the Filter tool in the workflow that automatically gets created, what's in there?

DataNath_0-1661960473720.png

DataNath_1-1661960490616.png

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

Weirdly enough it just started to work with out any issues.  However, I have a chain app issue if you are able to help.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Ha, fair enough! I did think it was weird as the configuration looks spot on. Can definitely help with chained apps as well - just let us know what the issue is/your current configurations of what's causing the problem.

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

The chain app works on the first run but the yxdb is the same data from the previous run.  For example here I chose GA but when it get's to the city app it has the cities from the previous run which in this case is LA cities.  Finally, the third app I would like the text box to be dynamic where if I do not input anything I would like the workflow to move forward without any filters.  I am getting an error requiring something in the text box.  

losingh_0-1661963421188.png

losingh_1-1661963445054.png

losingh_2-1661963553432.png

losingh_3-1661963643225.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

@losingh in the List Box of your second app (City), are you referencing the Summarized output from your first app? Should be in Name:Value format like so:

DataNath_0-1661964180910.png

Which you reference here:

DataNath_1-1661964370549.png

For the Text box tool, you could likely use a solution along the lines of those offered here, depending on how you'll be typing your selections in:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/OPTION-TO-LEAVE-TEXT-BOX-BLANK-IN-ANAL...

Labels