Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List Box Not Working Properly: Error Unknown Variable

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,  I have a list box for a list of state abbreviations

I am leveraging an IN clause for my filter.  When I select a state like GA for example I get an error.  

Unknown variable "AL" which is just the first state in my list

7 REPLIES 7
DataNath
17 - Castor

@losingh are you able to share any more information about your workflow and how it's set up/configured?

If you're using values from a field then first of all summarize and cross-tab like them like so:

DataNath_0-1661959292005.png

Then ensure you're using the following List Box configuration, with 'generate custom list' selected:

DataNath_1-1661959326138.png

Output:

DataNath_2-1661959344175.png

I've attached the mock app I used here for you to reverse engineer/refer back to if your configuration was off slightly. If you're still having issues, let us know with some more screenshots/share your flow if possible and we can help remedy the issue!

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

I have it manually configured.

losingh_0-1661959473938.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

That's strange, unless I'm missing something obvious this looks to be configured right - I've even changed mine to manual and still works fine. If you run the app in test mode by going Interface Designer (Ctrl+Alt+D) > Test view (magic wand icon) > Select some values from the list > Open Debug and then click on the Filter tool in the workflow that automatically gets created, what's in there?

DataNath_0-1661960473720.png

DataNath_1-1661960490616.png

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

Weirdly enough it just started to work with out any issues.  However, I have a chain app issue if you are able to help.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Ha, fair enough! I did think it was weird as the configuration looks spot on. Can definitely help with chained apps as well - just let us know what the issue is/your current configurations of what's causing the problem.

losingh
6 - Meteoroid

The chain app works on the first run but the yxdb is the same data from the previous run.  For example here I chose GA but when it get's to the city app it has the cities from the previous run which in this case is LA cities.  Finally, the third app I would like the text box to be dynamic where if I do not input anything I would like the workflow to move forward without any filters.  I am getting an error requiring something in the text box.  

losingh_0-1661963421188.png

losingh_1-1661963445054.png

losingh_2-1661963553432.png

losingh_3-1661963643225.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

@losingh in the List Box of your second app (City), are you referencing the Summarized output from your first app? Should be in Name:Value format like so:

DataNath_0-1661964180910.png

Which you reference here:

DataNath_1-1661964370549.png

For the Text box tool, you could likely use a solution along the lines of those offered here, depending on how you'll be typing your selections in:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/OPTION-TO-LEAVE-TEXT-BOX-BLANK-IN-ANAL...

Labels