Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join Tool - Using V_WString but drops all the numeric data without text

hwofford001
5 - Atom

Hi, I'm trying to use the Join tool to join two documents for one column of data (essentially a Vlookup in Excel). Both selections in the 'Join by Specific Fields' are V_WString as some of the data are numbers and some are a combination, such as 102 and 102-MP. The 'J' drops all the 102 but keeps the 102-MP. Is there a way to format the type so that it joins all the data on the left (aka it doesn't drop the 102)? Thank you for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Could you provide sample data where this is happening? This shouldn't be the case. Are there any leading/trailing spaces in either data set?

hwofford001
5 - Atom

Unfortunately, I can't share the data set without reworking a lot of it to make it dummy data. But I can't see that there are any leading/trailing spaces. The data is presented in Alteryx Results view as 102.0, so I think it's picking it up correctly.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

In both set's it's showing as '102.0'? When you're joining strings they need to match identically. If there were leading/trailing spaces you would see a red indicator in the results window. Are you able to share screenshots of the configurations/result window? Otherwise I think it will be hard to diagnose past that, maybe try throwing a data cleanse after each input for good measure.

Luke_C_0-1615586412484.png

Labels