Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is there a way to output data to a file but not have this as an output for the user?

Ashman2304
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with the following query. I am attempting to create a workflow that involves writing data to an excel file, however I am not interested in having this as an openable document by the user running the workflow. This would be a log file that isn't useful to the user, and as a result would prefer to have this not openable by them. I am currently using the Output tool to output the data to a file, but can I disable this being provided back to the user running the workflow?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Ashman2304 

The answer is 'it depends' but i don't think you'll get fully what you're looking for...

If the user has their own licence and is running the workflow within Alteryx Designer, then as far as i know you cannot stop them from seeing the file - they would be able to see the data within the workflow anyway so restricting their access to the file would be a moot point.

If the user is running it on the Gallery then you can stop the file from being presented to the user at the end but still have it output to a fileshare/folder etc. Depending on how the Gallery is set up the user may be able to access the file anyway in the folder it's saved to.

Ashman2304
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @DavidSkaife ,

Thank you for your response, and thought this would be the case. This will only be necessary when uploaded to the Server (hence I may be asking in the wrong place!), so do you know how this would be done? I would "output" two files, one being a log file, so is there a way to only return the non-log file on the Server?

Thanks again!

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Ashman2304 

Assuming you're uploading it as an App, i've pulled together a very simple example for you. Key parts to look out for are:

Interface Designer - Properties

You can switch off the ability for the user to see any output, or select which outputs they can see/not see

DavidSkaife_0-1682067968867.png

Output user can see

DavidSkaife_1-1682068034006.png

Files created

DavidSkaife_2-1682068078127.png

Note its not completely foolproof...the user can select Show Output Log and select the file from that way if they wanted to/knew they could do it.

DavidSkaife_3-1682068125279.png

Ashman2304
6 - Meteoroid

@DavidSkaife This is exactly what I needed, thank you so much!

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

@Ashman2304 you're very welcome!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels