Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interative Dynamic SQL Where Statement

Paul_L
8 - Asteroid

Hi there, 

I'm trying to repeat a workflow for a set of date periods.  I've currently got a workflow set up with a fixed range as part of some SQL code as follows:

WHERE so.CreationDate BETWEEN '2017-05-17' AND '2017-05-23 23:59:59'

I'd like to vary the start and end dates based on a input file and iterate through the list of date ranges

E.G.  

Start Date    End Date

2017-05-03  2017-05-09

2017-05-10  2017-05-16

2017-05-17  2017-05-23

2017-05-24  2017-05-30

Any suggestions for the best approach?  I was thinking add a couple of variables in place of dates and use a couple of control parameters?

Many thanks,

Paul

14 REPLIES 14
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Paul_L,

I changed the file over for you in the event you weren't able to based on @JohnJPS's suggestion.

Please see attached.

Thanks!

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Reading back on your post it looks like you have start and end date in separate columns.  You will likely want to use a formula to create a field such as '2017-08-31' AND '2017-09-06' so that you can use the dynamic input in the way I have it set up in the example.

Of course, there are many ways to do this task in Alteryx but I think using a formula to create the range that you can insert into your SQL formula should be simple enough.  Otherwise, you could use a macro to update each date separately.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Paul_L
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the tip that's very useful to know.

I'm still not clear on how that solution works JessicaS.  Should the Input Data Source Template in the dynamic input tool contain a link to a file containing my SQL code?

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Paul_L

If you click edit on the 'input source template' you are taken to an interface that works just like the input tool.  You can select your DB table, then use the SQL editor to write a 'template' SQL query that you will replace a section of with your input to the dynamic input containing date ranges.

2017-09-08_8-10-50.jpg

You can then add a parameter for 'modify SQL query' to replace part of the text in the query specified above with your input stream containing date ranges.

2017-09-08_8-13-53.jpg

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Paul_L
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much, by chance I had just managed to figure it out as I found a VIMEO of someone setting up a dynamic input.

It now makes a lot of sense and I'm not feeling too bright as I should have figured it out sooner!  

Many thanks for continuing to help me whilst I was struggling,

Paul

Labels