Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Inserting a Header on a DataSet

Cfdiaz2103
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone!

I'd like to know if there's anyway to combine a Text Title to a Dataset, without changing the data type of the dataset.

Attached you can find an example of the report header and how I need to configure the final report.

Note: In this example, the name of the organization is ABC Enterpise, but this header should be dynamic if the organization has another name.

Thanks for your support.

8 REPLIES 8
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Cfdiaz2103,

Yes, this is possible using the reporting tools in Alteryx! You'll have to experiment with the formatting in the Report Text tool in order to get it the way you want it. I noticed a weird behavior where when I didn't specify a background color, Alteryx made it pure black in the excel file. Clearly this isn't helpful for reading the text, which is why I did a light gray. Looks like by default, it creates a merged cell. 

Please note that this works best with the report-friendly file formats like xlsx and pdf. If you need to output to a yxdb, I'm doubtful this exact output is possible without changing the datatypes.

I hope this helps! If it does, please consider marking it as a solution so others may find it.

clmc9601_0-1627944914421.png

clmc9601_1-1627944936260.png

Junya_Wang
8 - Asteroid

Hi there, depends on the position of the company name is an excel, if it is fixed or is a named range you can use dynamic input to capture that and have it in as data and not field name.

See attached example below. After this step then you can refer to @clmc9601 's solution for creating reports.

Cfdiaz2103
8 - Asteroid

Hey @clmc9601 !

I'm trying to download your workflow, but it seems I've got an older version of Alteryx Designer (2020.3).Could you please forward the workflow in another format?

I'd appreciate your response.

Thank you!

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Cfdiaz2103,

To empower you for the future-- you can actually change the workflow version using Notepad or another text editor. Here's the info about how to do that. Once you get a new enough version of Alteryx, it should allow you to open newer versions anyway. It'll still give you a warning, but you can choose to still open the workflow.

If that doesn't work for you, please let me know and I'll resend the file.

Cfdiaz2103
8 - Asteroid

Hi @clmc9601!

I tried to open its Notepad version, but it doesn't have the same configuration as shown.

If you don't mind, could you please resend the workflow? I'll appreciate it. 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cfdiaz2103  - if you try to do that directly to the yxzp file it won't work. Instead you need to do it to the yxmd file/yxmc file in the yzxp:

1. Double click the yxzp to open in alteryx
  2. Even after the version error, there should be a new folder in your directory that is the same name as the yxzp
  3. Within that, you will find the actual workflow files you can edit in notepad.
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Cfdiaz2103,

Here you go! Yep, the steps @Luke_C just mentioned should work too.

Cfdiaz2103
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C  & @clmc9601!

It finally opened! Then I configure @Luke_C 's workflow and it perfectly resolved my need😊

Thank you guys for your support.

Labels