Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Insert cover page to pdf output by jurisdiction

EileenTX
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Friends,

I have a report that contains close to 400 jurisdictions (with 1400+pages in pdf). Each jurisdiction contains info between 1-5 categories, meaning the range is from 1 page to 5+ pages for each jurisdiction. I used reporting tools to combined 5 different data source and render the output by jurisdiction in pdf format. so the output will in sequence of category A, B, C, D and E by jurisdiction.  I need to insert a cover letter(a signed scanned pdf) to each jurisdiction. I only can get the cover page to each category for each jurisdiction which I only need one per jurisdiction. I tried using different tools but could not find a solution. Can anyone help and give me some ideas on how to achieve this goal? Your help is very much appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

I have to do something similar for some reports that are being generated. The only thing I could come up with was to get the PDF file that was created by Alteryx. The file name contained data to help customize the cover page in the next step.

The next step was to again, use an Alteryx workflow to parse the data from the file name then call a batch file that used pdftk https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/ to create the cover page and merge it into the PDF document. 

EileenTX
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. My pdf output is just one file with 400 jurisdictions (total of 1400+ pages). So the file name would not help me as only one big file. If I can render the output for each jurisdiction, meaning 400 files by jurisdiction, I may can think of different ways to insert the cover page. Is there any way that I can render the output for each jurisdiction? 

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

@EileenTX wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. My pdf output is just one file with 400 jurisdictions (total of 1400+ pages). So the file name would not help me as only one big file. If I can render the output for each jurisdiction, meaning 400 files by jurisdiction, I may can think of different ways to insert the cover page. Is there any way that I can render the output for each jurisdiction? 

Very similar to what I'm doing now. After all of the processing has been done, the data is stored with associated by a key (account or jurisdiction if you will). The workflow then iterates through each key, calls a batch macro that retrieves the data by key, then creates the PDF for that one particular key. You could do something similar in this case.

This picture depicts querying the database for accounts to process, some light transformation, then calling the batch macro

TheCoffeeDude_0-1654304419589.png

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

This picture depicts the inside of the macro referenced above.

TheCoffeeDude_1-1654304597373.png

Believe it or not, you're like 98% of the way. Your PDF workflow is generating the PDF you want. Now to create a workflow that will feed your report generation side of things (macro) for each jurisdiction.

Labels