Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input multiple excel files

kpontarollo
8 - Asteroid

So I have tried a few things to do this and none seem to be consistent. 

I have a "parent folder" named ENT. Within the parent folder is week.

So, within ENT is:

8/1/2022

8/8/2022

8/15/2022  Etc....

Within each of those files are 4 files OPEN/CDO/ SENT/ HOLD.

I want to create an alteryx query that brings in every week's CDO within the parent folder ENT. 

I have tried wild card and it only gives me the path name and I try wildcard with batch and I get a bunch of gibberish! Can anyone provide some insight?

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @kpontarollo, from the question I'm guessing these files are the same, the data within them just changes weekly? If so, you could use the following approach...

1 - Directory tool: Set the 'Directory' to your parent ENT folder and tick 'Include Subdirectories'

DataNath_0-1661182458297.png

2 - Filter: You only want 'CDO' files, so set a condition that the FileName needs to contain CDO

DataNath_1-1661182508004.png

3 - Dynamic Input: Under 'Input Data Source Template' select one of the CDO files (this will act as a template schema-wise), change 'Read a List of Data Sources' to Field > FullPath and Action > Change Entire File Path

DataNath_2-1661182588648.png

If your files can be different or there is a variation in schema (number/position/naming of columns etc) then this will require a batch macro approach.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kpontarollo 

In addition to what @DataNath has posted you may also find this useful, it's a good go-to guide when you're working with and inputting multiple files!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t...

Labels