Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input multiple excel files

kpontarollo
8 - Asteroid

So I have tried a few things to do this and none seem to be consistent. 

I have a "parent folder" named ENT. Within the parent folder is week.

So, within ENT is:

8/1/2022

8/8/2022

8/15/2022  Etc....

Within each of those files are 4 files OPEN/CDO/ SENT/ HOLD.

I want to create an alteryx query that brings in every week's CDO within the parent folder ENT. 

I have tried wild card and it only gives me the path name and I try wildcard with batch and I get a bunch of gibberish! Can anyone provide some insight?

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @kpontarollo, from the question I'm guessing these files are the same, the data within them just changes weekly? If so, you could use the following approach...

1 - Directory tool: Set the 'Directory' to your parent ENT folder and tick 'Include Subdirectories'

DataNath_0-1661182458297.png

2 - Filter: You only want 'CDO' files, so set a condition that the FileName needs to contain CDO

DataNath_1-1661182508004.png

3 - Dynamic Input: Under 'Input Data Source Template' select one of the CDO files (this will act as a template schema-wise), change 'Read a List of Data Sources' to Field > FullPath and Action > Change Entire File Path

DataNath_2-1661182588648.png

If your files can be different or there is a variation in schema (number/position/naming of columns etc) then this will require a batch macro approach.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kpontarollo 

In addition to what @DataNath has posted you may also find this useful, it's a good go-to guide when you're working with and inputting multiple files!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t...

Labels