Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Ingest All .csv Files found in Multiple Folders - Can't Use Directory Tool

cravena
5 - Atom

All,

We have a massive, messy folder structure that contains csv files.  The files we want are inside any folder path containing folder name "XYZ".  Example:

• Top Folder
    • XYZ Folder
      • File1.csv
      • File2.csv
    • ABC Folder
      • File3.csv
      • XYZ Folder
        • File4.csv
        • EFG Folder
          • File5.csv

I want File1, File2, File4, and File5; do not want File3.  I can't use the Directory Tool to Ingest Top Folder and all its subfolders because it contains a gazillion folders and files and would take forever to load, and I don't need 95% of them.  So, I boosted a RunCommand tool I found on another community post, which returns all the folder path names inside Top Folder.  Then I use a Filter with Contains "XYZ"; now I know the folder paths I'll need.  I thought I could feed the Dynamic Input tool these paths, but it fails because Dynamic Input tool needs a FullPath including file name, which i don't have.  I only have the folder paths.  How to dynamically ingest:

\\Top Folder\XYZ Folder\*.csv

\\Top Folder\ABC Folder\XYZ Folder\*.csv

\\Top Folder\ABC Folder\XYZ Folder\EFG Folder\*.csv

A macro, probably?  Or maybe I'm missing something simple in the Dynamic Input tool?  

8 REPLIES 8
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@cravena ,

Square 1:  Go to the highest mountain (top directory).

Square 2:  Jump (directory of all CSV files in all sub-direcotries).

Square 3: Bounce (filter out any of the records that you know that you don't want to read).

Square 4: Use a dynamic input tool to read the files (assumes that the formats are the same).

The FULLPATH should be present.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cravena,

You could use this approach:

IraWatt_0-1655918260803.png

Put a directory tool on your top directory then filter to only include directorys containing XYZ.

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @cravena, I agree with @IraWatt 's suggestion to go with a Directory tool. 

AmalinaH_0-1655919239684.png

This generates a FullPath field of all the files under the parent folder and its subdirectories and you can then filter to those that contain "XYZ" and connect to a dynamic input.

cravena
5 - Atom

All,

dir

\\Top Folder\*.csv , + Include Subdirectories takes a long time to load--it's a big folder, lots of subfolders, over a hundred thousand files (and growing, rapidly), 95% of them I already know I do not want.  I was hoping for something a bit more targeted.

Thanks

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Do you have a list of files or directories already?   

cravena
5 - Atom

I've got a list of directories already. Example:

C:\Users\cravena\Desktop\Alteryx\XYZ
C:\Users\cravena\Desktop\Alteryx\data\XYZ
C:\Users\cravena\Desktop\Alteryx\data\holder\XYZ
C:\Users\cravena\Desktop\Alteryx\data\Maintenx\XYZ\SUBFOLD
C:\Users\cravena\Desktop\Alteryx\data\processed\SUBFOLD\XYZ

The filenames are more or less unpredictable.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I can jump on a zoom and show you techniques.  Essentially if your list is fixed, you can have multiple directory tools with a Union leading into a dynamic input.  Alternatively, you can create a batch macro to handle the searching.  

there isn't a magic figure out what files to read easy button. 

cheers,

mark

cravena
5 - Atom

Thanks, Mark.  I'll investigate the batch macro.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels