Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

I'd 'like' some help please - Like vs Substring

DanN
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryx Community

I'm trying to replicate the following SQL formula in Alteryx with the formula tool:

WHEN *COLUMN* LIKE '_SET__TEXT______________TEXT' THEN 'OUTPUT '

Is there a way in Alteryx to copy this, taking into consideration where the wildcare (underscores) are and set text or would I have to create 3 substrings and one LEN function linked by an AND function?

Ideally I would be able to use a 'contains', which also allows wildcards, so I could do something like: '*SET**TEXT***************TEXT'

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Meardon
5 - Atom

Hi Dan, you could use the regex tool, with output method set as "match" on your column with a regular expression like:

.*SET.*TEXT.*TEXT

This exact regex statement may need some work but I hope that points you in a good direction.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @DanN,

I'm no expert on SQL but this definitely sounds like something you would want to use the regex tool to sort:

IraWatt_0-1656426292180.png

Would be great to have some example data but I think this is a start:

(.*SET.*TEXT.*TEXT)

DanN
6 - Meteoroid

Perfect, even tagged the request as Regex, not realising it was exactly what I needed! Great tool, would be really good if you could do multiple expressions per tool, maybe in the future!

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great to hear @DanN !  regex101: build, test, and debug regex Is a great place to test and try regex btw when your getting started. 

Labels