Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Currency format output for negative values

Ranjith_udaykumar
7 - Meteor

In table tool we can add formats , prefixes depending on column value using column rules.

Is there is a way to show the negative values within Parenthesis and remove the minus sigh in the number (same as currency format in Excel) ? 

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

@Ranjith_udaykumar I'm not aware of any single-click method of doing this. Afaik, you'd have to create a field like so with an expression along the lines of the following and use that:

if [Amount] < 0 then '$(' + Trimleft(ToString([Amount]),'-') + ')' else '$'+tostring([Amount]) endif

DataNath_0-1656425387991.png

DataNath_1-1656425395108.png

Edit: You don't actually need the extra formula - can just use this as a column rule in the Table tool:

DataNath_2-1656425523847.png

DataNath_3-1656425550809.png

Ranjith_udaykumar
7 - Meteor

If we change the value to string, the user can not perform numeric calculations. I want to keep it as number and display it without negative symbol. Instead place it within paranthysis.

DataNath
17 - Castor

I don't think this is possible in Alteryx - the option to just convert - to () isn't a thing and to do it manually you'd always need to output as a string because of the () characters but I'll of course leave the floor open in case anyone knows otherwise.

Labels