Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to get API to get information from the server

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to get data from the server using the server api tool, and I'm getting this error (see attachment). The URL I'm using the just the gallery url, and I got the key and secret key from the gallery profile as well, so I don't believe those are the issues. I have the API access permission checked under the gallery profile as well. Any help would be appreciated.

I posted this in the server discussions as well, but there hasn't been a response yet, so I thought I'd try here.

44 REPLIES 44
JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

How do I get to the system settings page? Is the from the gallery or designer?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JohnLight ,

You will have to access the server machine where Alteryx Server is installed and access it from there. You can ask your server admin for this info as well. 

https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/server/configure/system-settings.html

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

I have copied the exact API URL from the settings and it still isn't working :/ Is there a help desk? I really don't understand why nothing is accepting the exact URL provided to me by Atleryx.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

support/support :: top of this page.

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

Does SSL need to be enabled? In the picture in the link it is, for me, it currently isn't.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JohnLight ,

Not needed.

Let me ask some questions, and I apologize if you already answered any of these before. 

What happens when you try using the key and secret in Swagger? Do you get the invalid credentials error?

What is your role in the Gallery? Curator or Artisan? Asking because you have to be a curator to use the schedules endpoint.

What is the server URL you are seeing in the System Settings? Is it localhost something or the server name or IP?

Here you have the steps to use Swagger: https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/How-to-use-the-Alteryx-Server-Web-API

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hey @JohnLight  is there anyone else you can ask about api authentication at your company? It looks like we have two issues here:

1) Alteryx Server (it can be a pain - it happens)

2) Api flows (they can be a pain - it happens)

The thing is --- it's much easier if someone knows how at least one of them should look. So we can't even tell if you have the right credentials/are connecting in Swagger. All of that is key. The SSL thing - that's very important - but it's specific to your server - yeah?

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

1. No, my credentials work, I get the blue "!" when I click authorize.

2. Where do I see my role? I have admin, but I'm not sure about curator vs artisan.

3. It's not localhost, Its http://WIN-alphanumericcombination, I'm not sure if it's the server name or not, I can ask my supervisor on Monday.

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

No, this is the first time my company has tried to use the server API. I am able to connect to swagger, but postman isn't working.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @JohnLight ,

That is good. At least we know the API is working. Curator is Alteryx`s admin role so you are ok. 

Your server name is also ok, that is the computer name.

Since you can access the server, could you please install the Server API tool inside the server`s Designer and test from there?

When you access the Gallery, are you using the same name + gallery? http://WIN-alphanumericcombination/gallery

Could you also check your Designer and Server version, please?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels