Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to find Minimum date from 3 separate columns

jarrazolo2
6 - Meteoroid

Hello - I want to replicate the excel function MIN(Date1, Date2, Date3)

I have 3 columns with dates and want to output the MIN date of those columns.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@jarrazolo2 the min function available alteryx, you can follow the same format

binuacs_0-1648053757423.png

jarrazolo2
6 - Meteoroid

thank you for the reply, i am trying to use the columns i have and not manually entered strings as you have noted 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@jarrazolo2 you can use the columns instead of string , 

jarrazolo2
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - according to https://help.alteryx.com/designer-cloud/minmax-functions that is incorrect unless the columns are numbers."A minimum or maximum function finds the smallest and largest value of a set of values. Min/Max functions can only be used with Number data types."

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@jarrazolo2 it should work on date fields as well, please make sure that your date fields are in valid alteryx date format

binuacs_0-1648056148601.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jarrazolo2 

Another way to go if you don't want to hard code the column names into a formula, would be to transpose all your date fields (check all other fields as key fields in the Transpose tool). You can then use a Summarize tool to group by Field Name and return the minimum value. 

DavidP_0-1648056444830.png

Labels