Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to display the sum of a calculation based on multiple rows

Cela
8 - Asteroid

Hey guys,

I am trying to calculate cell values of different rows (e.g. B12 + C1) but I think the issue is that it doesn't know where to write the resulting value. It works perfectly fine as long as I am using the same row but it doesn't show the result once it's different rows.

Thank you for your advice in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Cela
8 - Asteroid

@cjaneczko Thank you for the recommendation! That would be the solution using "brute force" I guess. It would become complicated at some point though because there are 50+ rows per table and breaking those up to glue them back together would require a lot of time, so I see this as some sort of a "last resort".

Isn't there a way to communicate to the WF that it should write the result in a specific row?

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Possibly. I'd need to see a larger data set example of the final output. If the data is always the same 50+ records with no new entries you can use a reference input for the ones you want summed up with a combination of Record ID to set the order properly of where the summarizations are to be placed. 

Cela
8 - Asteroid

@cjaneczko I would like to refrain from using the Summarize Tool just yet. It really is just a case of (just an example!) "Row 1 and Row 5, 9 and 39 shall be calculated as Row 1 - Row 5 + Row 9 - Row 39" and put the result into a specific cell or anywhere visible, really.

I'm sure there must be a way to make that work since there is no error message in the expression and I tested the expression successfully by calculating the same row with itself.

Hope this helps to clarify where I am trying to head to with this WF.

Labels