Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Help - How to Vlook Up Results into Original File (and repeat)

jolenecox
5 - Atom

Hello,

Sorry - still getting use to Alteryx Designer!

Please forgive my terrible explanation in advance... 

I have an employee listing report with Employee Name, Employee ID number, Manager and Manger ID number - this listing is ever changing with people leaving etc. I want to create a workflow that produces a report of those who report up into a specific individual. (So 'Bobs' direct reports, their direct reports, their direct reports and so on). When I perform this manually - I filter on the specific manager ID and then copy their direct reports ID and Vlook up those ID's into manager ID etc - I highlight my results along the way and then once complete I filter on my coloured results.

I need to create this as an Alteryx workflow - does anyone have an idea how I can copy vlook up search results into my original document repeatedly? Or is there another way to perform this?

Again apologies for the poor description of my ask here! 

1 REPLY 1
Luke_C
17 - Castor

@jolenecox 

This weekly challenge has sample data set-up almost identically to what you describe and might be helpful:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-12-Creating-an-HR-Hierarchy/td-p/36740

Otherwise, could you post some sample data as well as what the output should look like?

Labels