Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouping Data in a Fixed Width file

Longhorns
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I am new to Alteryx and am looking for some help on how to best group data within a large fixed width file. I need to parse out the stacked data into unique groups based on the client identifier. In the source file each group of data is separated by a row only containing a "0" in the first column of the file. 

I used the multi formula tool to create an additional row that identifies each row that should be grouped together. 

Longhorns_0-1614818562159.png

I wasn't sure if there was a better way to do this as the source file can be very large. Also, is there way to write into the expression to output the Client # as the value in the additional row? I attached an example of the source file. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Longhorns 

I'm not sure how you need the output to be shaped as there was no indication for this. I was not sure if you needed to parse our all the variables into different columns or just needed to flag which rows represented which client.

I attached a WF that shows you how to flag each row for the respective client name.

pedrodrfaria_0-1614825577551.png

If you need to parse all the data out to columns, you would probably be looking at Regex as a solution, which transforms this use case into something a little more complex.

Please let me know if this helps you.

Pedro.

Longhorns
5 - Atom

Hi @pedrodrfaria

Thank you very much for the WF example detailing how to flag with the corresponding Client. This was very helpful!

I do want to shape the output so that all of the different variable data is parsed out and associated with the corresponding client # they are listed under in the source file. So I need to look into Regex as a solution for this type of scenario. 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Longhorns 

Given that you're relatively new to Alteryx, here's an article that may help with future posts: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/General-Discussions/Posting-for-fastest-possible-solution/td-p/6916...

This need to carry a value from a report header into the rows is quite common and has come up a few times in the weekly challenges (well worth doing these to build your skills and see how other people tackle them) https://community.alteryx.com/t5/*/bd-p/weeklychallenge 

@pedrodrfaria 's solution is the most common way of tackling this - using a multi-row formula to carry down a value (if isnull([Client]) then [Row-1:Client] else [Client] endif) .   This also comes up a lot in XML parsing.

I've updated @pedrodrfaria 's solution to parse out the client ID using a Regex; and then copy this down.

Resources:

Longhorns
5 - Atom

.@SeanAdams 

Thank you much for providing all of the resources and updating the WF. Very much appreciated.

Labels