Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Formula EndIf Not working in one flow but is another flow

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Does anyone see anything wrong with this formula? I have the exact formula in another flow and it works fine, I copied it over and added more columns to a newer flow and it is erroring out. Having trouble why this works in one flow but not another?

if +[New_Reason Code3]+[New_Reason Code4]+[New_Reason Code5]+[New_Reason Code 7]+[New_Reason Code 6]+[New_Reason Code 8]+[New_Reason Code 9]+[New_Reason Code ORIG]+[New_Reason Code CNSG]+[New_Reason Code DEST]+[New_Reason Code STCC]+[New_Reason Code CMDTY_DES]+[New_Reason Code CAR_KND]+[New_Reason Code CAR_KND_ABBR] = 0 then 'OK' else 'MisMatches Found' endif

dberroth_0-1603484895781.png

10 REPLIES 10
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

HI @dberroth,

Check the field types in the new workflow.  It looks like one of those fields in the new workflow is not a numeric format.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@dberroth 
Agree with @T_Willins , you cannot compare two data that are not of same data type.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @dberroth , try converting the field into string which you are trying to compare.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Thank you all, so far nothing is sticking out why it's different than the other flow, i'll keep playing around with it. Thank you.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @dberroth 

Is possible to provide the workflow along with its data files. We can look into it.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The mismatch error is because you're trying to combine multiple datatypes (some are strings and others are numbers). Try this:

if tonumber([New_Reason Code3])+tonumber([New_Reason Code4])+tonumber([New_Reason Code5])+tonumber([New_Reason Code 7])+[tonumber(New_Reason Code 6])+tonumber([New_Reason Code 8])+tonumber([New_Reason Code 9])+tonumber([New_Reason Code ORIG])+tonumber([New_Reason Code CNSG])+tonumber([New_Reason Code DEST])+tonumber([New_Reason Code STCC])+tonumber([New_Reason Code CMDTY_DES])+tonumber([New_Reason Code CAR_KND])+tonumber([New_Reason Code CAR_KND_ABBR]) = 0 then 'OK' else 'MisMatches Found' endif

You can also use a Select tool prior to the Formula tool and ensure all of the above fields are numeric (ex:double). 

Looking at your fields though, they look to be reason codes. I don't know if it makes sense to add these together?

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Thanks again for that info, I was finally able to figure out the issue. Last question, I have about "column headers" to add to that formula, is there a better way to get the same result as the formula below without having to add 300 more values to the formula? Or better yet is that a limitation to the formula?

The reason codes are a value of either 1 or 0, it's tied to a multirow formula so I'm trying to determine if all values match or is there a mismatch, it was basically a work around as there wasn't a clear cut way to identify mismatches between two rows. So if there are any 1's in that row, the final result is a MisMatches Found Error, all those columns equal 0, then its 'OK'

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @dberroth,

You by Transposing and Summarizing the data, you can avoid a very long formula.  See workflow below and attached.  Even though there is only one field selected in the Multi-Field formula tool, this tool allows for the field to be changed to numeric without adding a new field. 

Dynamic find MisMatches.jpg

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @dberroth 

Here is a nice way of doing it!

TheOC_0-1603816246858.png

I start with some dummy data, and transpose and summarise to get a sum of the whole row. With the sum, I can then simply say that if the sum is 0, then it is your 'ok' result, else its a mismatch.
then i just join back to the original data so your data is unaffected, other than the extra column added for the result

TheOC_1-1603816324525.png

I've attached it as an attachment for you!

Bulien
Labels