Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula -Conversion error - checking if a field is numeric greater than 1 and is not null

d1miller99
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone

I have a field, MaybeZip, that might be a zip code number or it could be an address. The TONUMBER() is checking to see if it is A number greater than 0. 

IF TONUMBER([MaybeZip]) > 0 AND !ISNULL([MaybeZip]) THEN
	NULL()
ELSE
	TRIM([MaybeZip])
ENDIF

But, I can see how that would cause a conversion error because if "MaybeZip" contains characters, it would cause a conversion issue. I could do a test with IsInteger()  - check if the field is integer and then do a nested IF to see if it is null. But, that becomes ugly because i would have to use an "else" with both. 

Has anyone ran into this situation and not mind explaining how they solved it? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
binuacs
21 - Polaris

@d1miller99 One way of doing this

binuacs_1-1667928324178.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @d1miller99, from the looks of your formula, you're just checking whether or not [MaybeZip] is a number and if so, you want to null it? If so, you can just handle it with this expression. If it's a number, it'll null it, if the record is null then of course it'll stay null and if it's an actual address then it just gets trimmed as you have in your original expression:

DataNath_0-1667928257438.png

Please let me know if I'm completely off the mark here!

d1miller99
7 - Meteor

Thanks everyone for your help! Using the regular expression solution as presented by Binuacs, I added additional logic: so this allows me to get an error if a field contains a 0 satisfying the > 0 criteria 

IIF( REGex_MATCH(TRIM([MaybeZip]), '.*\D.*'),[MaybeZip], Null() )
Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels