Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Flagging Matches from 2 different sources

EvolveKev
8 - Asteroid

Hi guys,

I've got a simple problem that I'm having a hard time getting my head around.

I have two sets of data (2 files). File 1 is my master file of a couple of hundred thousand addresses. File 1 is a file of addresses of houses which have specific characteristics.

Quite simply, I want to add a field to file 1 indicating if its address can be found in file 2. This is giving me a headache!

I can easily union the data, and the output the files that match. I can then create a new field using the formula tool which indicates the match. Obviously, 100% of the output is a match. My problem is I want to see not just the matches, but the whole dataset with an additional field indicating if its a match.

I know this is easy...I'm just at a wall! Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hi there,

I would recommend first joining the two files on address (I recommend making file 1 your left input and file 2 your right input). Those that join (come out of the J output node) will be the ones you want to flag for file 1. If you click on that J node, you can uncheck all the fields from the file 2 input. Then you can add a formula tool out of the J node with a field named something like 'address found in file 2', and in the formula section simply put a 1. You can make this and int or a byte. Finally, union the L and J nodes of your join tool, and you will have your original dataset for file 1, plus a field that indicates if the address exists in file 2. This new field will be 1 if it exists, Null if it doesn't exist. You can easily replace these nulls with zeros with another formula tool or a data cleansing tool if you wish.

Best,

mmenth

EvolveKev
8 - Asteroid

Hey @mmenth,

Thank you so much - this worked perfectly. Perfectly!  

You're awesome.

Labels