Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
GELÖST

Finding amounts that sum to zero

jannis2021
Meteoroid

Hi. 

I have several data sets where I would like to build a workflow that identifies amounts that SUM to zero and segregate them from amounts that do not SUM to zero. Prior to Alteryx I would use Excel's solver functionality to accomplish such tasks. Is there a way to replicate this functionality in Alteryx? I attempted to use the Optimization tool, but am not familiar enough with the syntax to build out the parameters correctly. Can anyone assist?

Example data:

(77,749.62)1
             (1,517,382.72)1
16 ANTWORTEN 16
AngelosPachis
Nebula

Hi @jannis2021 ,

After removing the brackets from the negative values, adding a minus sign at the front and converting that field to a numeric data type, you can make use of a Running total tool to see when the amounts add up to zero and flag it with a multi-row formula tool

AngelosPachis_0-1630418227084.png

Best,

Angelos

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jannis2021 

It is possible to share the excel with the solver present.

jannis2021
Meteoroid

Solver example attached. The fact that the perfect offsets were not picked up is not a big deal since I would strip those out of the population before attempting the Solver application.

jannis2021
Meteoroid

Thanks, that works well in my simplified scenario, but matched against a bigger dataset I think this falls apart? If not let me know. I attached a more complete data set for reference.

jannis2021
Meteoroid

I actually came up with the solution after posting this. Happy to post the workflow if anyone else is interested, thanks.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jannis2021 

Yes please, This is an interesting usecase and I would love to see how you solved it 🙂

jannis2021
Meteoroid

I'll need a bit to tweak my workflow to be sufficiently generic, but the basics are below:

- Feed in a listing of numbers you are researching with Alteryx generated record IDs that are fed into the Optimizer as variables.

- Their coefficients are 1 (integer) with LB of 0 and UB of 1. These are binary variables.

- The constraints are set up to be the actual value of the number itself. Configure the optimization tool to be a  dense matrix with variables in rows.

- The objective to feed into input "B" is that the constraint field == 0.

- Toggle the Maximize objective to be true in the Optimizer tool.

This has been working effectively across multiple tests; keeping in mind that I am not tweaking the built in "Slack" in the tool so sometimes my numbers do not always exactly equal zero but this is acceptable in my use case.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jannis2021 

Awesome 🙂 Thanks for sharing

Cheers and have a nice day!

Hi @jannis2021,

Can you post the workflow with the Optimization tool. Thank you.

Umfrage
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Beschriftungen