Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Field data type changes based on Input file

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi Team,

I'm using 2 sets of input files and perfuming a join. Now I'm performing a join on a column(EmpId) and before I join, I change the data type to V_string using a select tool. Now for one set of input everything works fine. Problem is when I receive another set of input for the same files the datatype changes to double and throws an join error at the join tool saying "string fields can only be joined to string fields.

My query is why is the datatype changing to double when I'm selecting V_string as datatype in the select tool.

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

Use a select tool and force the datype to v_string: forced like below. This way it will always be v_string and will join.

atcodedog05_0-1646219691582.png

Hope this helps : )

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Thanks @atcodedog05 . I guess V_String: Forced appears as an option only when the initial input is string. Now I see only Double: forced. Since my 1st input has only Double: Forced and 2nd input has only V_string: Forced, not sure how to proceed about this.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

Force it to V_Wstring instead that should also still work since both are string datatype.

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hemant86 

Let me know if that works. If yes you can mark my response as a solution if no let me know the issue.

Happy to help : )

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi @atcodedog05 As of now I cannot assure. Because I 'm not facing the error for all the inputs but some of them. I will have to do some more testing to confirm on this.

Labels