Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Eliminating columns based on cell value

julianveda
7 - Meteor

Hi Community,

I wonder if you could help me out with a case:

I would like to eliminate dynamically some columns that have a cell with the word "Description". In the image below this are the red columns (Header 5, Header 8, Header 11).  I'd still like to keep column 2 that also has the word "description" in it. Do you know how I could do this dynamically beacause I might deal with files having more columns.  I guess this could be done with Multi-Field formula tool, but since I'm still new to Alteryx, I do not know how to use it well.

Please find the photo of the existing and expected result below and I have also attached the Excel file.

Thanks for reading

julianveda_0-1684914363756.png

8 REPLIES 8
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @julianveda 

Maybe this is your want:

录制_2023_05_24_16_37_43_182.gif

julianveda
7 - Meteor

Hi @flying008 , Thanks for your answer.

It seems to answer my question, but could you plase share the workflow to confirm this, but also to learn from your solution ?

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @julianveda,

This shoud work aswell: 

FrederikE_1-1684923777375.png

julianveda
7 - Meteor

@FrederikE  thank you very much for your answer. I saw that after "cross tab" tool headers are not longer in order and it seemes you used a "select tool" to manually order them. Is there a way to order the headers dynamically ?

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @julianveda,

Kind of: There is a Macro for this, see http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/08/field-sort-macro.html

This sort fields ascending/desc by name, the problem is with your headers this means "Header_10" is before "Header_2". But you could modify the macro to pick up only the numbers and sort by them. But this is for sure annoying and if you have only the "Header" name I would just define it once then Alteryx knows the metadata and it should be fine. 

julianveda
7 - Meteor

thank you @flying008, I tried to reproduce what you showed and it worked :)

julianveda
7 - Meteor

Thank you @FrederikE  for the link. However, I am not able to use files coming from non secure sites in my computer.

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @julianveda 

congratulation!  If you get your want, please mark it as a solution for more share.

Labels